Wednesday, May 2, 2012

In Praise of Mulch: Why Mulch?

Everywhere I go, I see fresh mulch being laid down.  There’s the bags of individual mulch being wheeled around, the large deliveries of mulch brought by truck to a driveway, and even my favorite, the mulch blower.  You know the blowers.  They’re the ones that are from professional landscaping businesses that have the giant hose with mulch spewing out.  I would love one of those guys to come do my garden someday. 

Yes, it’s that time of year for mulch.  Besides the mulch that includes manure, it generally has a pleasant smell.  It’s the smell of spring and turning over a new garden.  It makes the appearance of a garden fresh again.  Beyond that, mulch also keeps the weeds down and adds nutrients to the soil.  And most importantly, in the heat of summer, mulch helps to maintain moisture.  So open a bag or get a dump truck delivered.  It’s mulching season!

No comments:

Post a Comment