Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Zucchini Pizza Casserole: Kid favorite!

I've written before about kids in the garden and the zucchini invasion I had a few weeks ago.  Well, for my first year of growing zucchini, I continue to be amazed at the great yield for such little effort in the garden.  Except for the vine borers, which I was victorious against, the remaining zucchini plants continue to produce more than our family needs.  I was scanning the internet for more recipes when my Mom handed me one from Taste of Home's website:  Zucchini Pizza Casserole.  It had the necessary ingredient for my kids to at least try it--cheese!  Not only did they like it, but my youngest who does not like zucchini or ground meat, gobbled it up!  So for all of you with picky eaters, or too many zucchini in your garden, here's the recipe.   The only adjustments I made were to leave out the green pepper, and to lengthen the time in step one from 10 minutes to 15-20 minutes.

From Taste of Home

Zucchini Pizza Casserole [Taste of Home]

Ingredients
4 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can (15 ounces) Italian tomato sauce
1 medium green pepper, chopped

Directions
  1. Place zucchini in strainer; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 10 minutes. Squeeze out moisture.
  2. Combine zucchini with the eggs, Parmesan and half of the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Press into greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
  3. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce; spoon over zucchini mixture.
  4. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; add green pepper. Bake 20 minutes longer or until heated through.

2 comments:

  1. This is perfect--my dad was telling me the other day how he remembered a recipe like this, I'll check to see if this is it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's not the same, give it a try. We all give it two thumbs up. : )

      Delete