Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Reversing the Process: Growing Celery From Celery


When we think of growing plants, we start with a seed.  That’s the foundation for growth.  From a seed, we get our plants, harvest them, and bring them to the kitchen.  What if that process could be reversed?  What if we could grow a vegetable from something already in the kitchen?  This was proposed to me by a friend.  I was skeptical, but intrigued.  After all, it works for potatoes, shallots, etc.  I’m not the first to try this….but I just had to see for myself.  So the experiment began:  growing celery in the garden from the celery in my refrigerator.  Conclusion:  it works!  Here’s how to do it yourself.

1.  Take a store bought celery and cut off the end.

2.  Place the end in a pool of water for about 24 hours.
3.  Bury the celery in the ground.  I didn’t have an exact depth so I put it
about 1 ½” to 2” below the surface so that animals wouldn’t dig it up.

4.  Two weeks later, here’s the growth!   A new celery plant has begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment